Sunday, May 24, 2009

Daystar's class trip.

Well, I am happily back home with my family now but what an awesome trip we had. I took Daystar's 8 high school girls to Washington DC for a week, along with Sherly Nabozny, good friend and great navigator! We took off Sunday night about 9:00 p.m. and drove through the night, arriving at Gettysburg about 9:00a.m. We soaked in the history and felt moved as history became alive and more real to us as we stood where so many had fallen. Next we drove on to Arlington and watched the changing of the guard as well as some presentations of honor to the soldier by means of wreaths. We finished up our first night with The Wall and Lincoln Memorial. The next two days we took in DC and all of it's wonder.
After 3 days in the city we were all ready for some nature. We went white water rafting down the Shenandoah River then camped on a mountain (near Camp David). It was primitive camping with the only amenities being a pit toilet (housing a spider the size of my palm and a mouse who walked about the seat at will. I found out I can hold my bladder a long time.) and a pump. After a roasted hot dog and s'more supper we began devotions Sherly tuned it over to the girls and as they began their testimonies God settled down on that mountain top in a way that still brings me to tears. One by one the girls began to pour out their hearts and then started ministering to each other. Revival broke out and needs started being met. Sherly and I stood back in awe of how God was working in and through these girls. What a humbling and awesome
experience. Abby told of her fears and how she would start singing "Jesus, Jesus" and his presence would drive away all those fears. We wept in His presence and finished the evening by dropping to our knees ( at Abby's request), raising our hands and hearts before Him and praising God for who He is. GOD IS SO AMAZING!
We cleaned up camp and settled in to sleep. Some in a tent, some in the van, and the brave ones out under the stars. In the morning the girls found two 4" centipede squished under their pillows and I found one still alive in an unexpected place. I went to wash my hair under the pump and felt a twig in my hair I threw it on the ground and it crawled away. AHHHHHHHHHHHH! It had slept in my bun all night. Maybe it was God's joke on me after I pranked Jerusha the night before with a tuna fish s'more, yes, she bit it. That was funny! Whatever it was it was nasty. Also I was the one to have a snake (4 1/2 foot black rat snake) slither by my side the next day as we hiked up the mountain.
All in all it was an awesome trip. I thank God for the opportunity. If you really want to get to know people go on a road trip with them. There are always challenges but I am so proud of our girls and I will never forget meeting God on the mountain top.

1 comment:

Leah said...

Glad you had a nice time and are safely back home :) never to leave Drew like that again - ha ha